03 October 2011

Jess Cooked Dinner?

Anyone who knows me knows that, while there are lots of things I can do, cooking is not one of them.  Really, it's not so much that I can't cook, it's more that I don't like to do it.  At. all.  It's a dastardly combination of living by myself, having lots of work to do when I get home, not having a dishwasher, and general laziness that combines into a usually ridiculous (and often unhealthy) dinner for me.  Oatmeal for dinner?  Sign me up.  Leftover pizza?  Yep.  Crackers and a bagel?  Sometimes....

It's bad.  Like, really bad.  I really need to do better....so one of my goals for this school year is to eat better, and by better I mean more fruits and veg (and my more I mean eat some...any...at least one a day!) and make more dinner.  So the other night, when I found this recipe on Pinterest, I thought it sounded like something that I could tackle and that would leave me good leftovers!


Tina, from Sparkling Ink, has made a pretty darn good recipe, even if I did have to fudge some things.  For starters, since I'm just feeding me, I cut down on amounts, and since I don't like bones (I have weird food issues, don't ask), I used thighs.  I used a little over a pound of thighs (it was 4 or 5 thighs total), but I still used one lemon and nearly one pound of red potatoes (hey, I like my starches).  I only used about 6 garlic cloves, though honestly, I probably could have used more.  Finally, I used a chardonnay, and I used one of those little bottles you can get in a pack...I keep those for cooking because I don't usually drink white wine.  I used about 3/4 of a bottle, or maybe even more, and it was probably a little too much. 

The biggest change I made was that I don't have fresh rosemary, and somehow, I don't even have dried rosemary (told you I don't cook!) but I do have Herbs de Provence.  (Don't ask...no idea why I have that and not regular old rosemary.)  Anyway, the Herbs de Provance was darn tasty in this, so though I can't say for sure that the original recipe was great (which I'm sure it is), it was good this way!

I will definitely make this again, but in the future, I might use half olive oil and half butter.  Yes, olive oil is healthier, but butter is yummier in something like this!



Now all that's left is dessert....hmmmm......

PS...yes, I did have veg...peas were a very nice accompaniment...
PPS...I can barely cook...you didn't actually think I'd style the food, did you?  This is what it really looked like on the stove in my dutch oven....and it tasted great :)

2 comments:

  1. that looks so delicious!

    www.thepinksmashbox.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!
    I can't cook either!
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete